Friendship Hut
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Friendship Hut

A place to get together and meet new friends

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Work topics...

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm

I have to work at the motel Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I volunteered as the boss loaned me his Lincoln Town car, how can I not? My pay check should be good!

A lady at work went to the state prison today. She was sentenced for "borrowing" about 50,000 dollars from the small town she was the accountant for. Her husband is crippled and disabled. Lots of bills. She worked a lot of hours at Best Western, and she is a good lady. So, I'm working to fill in for her hours. She'll be back in about 70 days or so. She is going to sell some farm land to pay back the money so the court went fairly easy on her. Steve, my boos, wrote the judge a letter and appealed to get her on work release. He wanted her to stay at the motel and work from there, but the judge didn't go for it.

On Rita's last night at work, I sat and talked to her for an hour or so. She was so apologetic she was in tears. So, I asked her to be bring some recipes and a cool DOC t-shirt from the prison gift shop for me when she comes back. She laughed. Rita is the sister of the mayor of Iroquois and I taught a niece of hers at that school. It's a good family.
Back to top Go down
Ron

Ron

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:14 pm

That would be a hard call for the judge to make. He had to give her some jail time, maybe work release for 8 hours and she sleeps in a cell. But she would have had to pay the county or state to be transported to and from work. That would have cost bucks. Probably just as well to do straight time in a county jail. I think she fared well in the deal.

Not trying to sound cold blooded, just a third party. Altogether I've spent about a couple of months in jail - never in prison. A minimum security once for 6 weeks, but I wouldn't call that the joint.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Thats sad. She did what she had to do. And then she had to sell some of her farm land, that really sucks. 70 days isn't so bad, having to pay all that back is.
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:40 pm

She did the crime and is doing the time. The guy that owns the motel is rich. He inherited a ton of money and built the motel and bought another. He is wise enough to watch his money well. So, when you need money and work for a guy like that a person can get caught up in what others own. She just gave in to temptation.

Ron you are right. The judge couldn't make that choice. He made the correct decision. She will be out of jail and back at the front desk in no time.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:19 am

Tomorrow i go back to work. Thank god! I can't stand this time off. Too much time off. if i had extra money I could've visited my mom and took her out shopping or just hung out. Next year things are going too be different. Better. flower
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:23 am

I work for those that can't. Whatever happened to Aries? I worked 10 hours yesterday and 7 more today...then back to teaching for 5 days then back to the motel for a few hours.

I'm like NC, I work to pay my bills and when I can. Actually I like both of my jobs, it's just at times it wears on me. I'm going out to shoot at some pheasants in a bit then back to clean up.
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 am

I thought about Ron's comment about losing one's attitude and personability as one gets worn down by the long work hours. It was wearing thin today. But damn, I worked about 40 hours over Thanksgiving. I hope I can do better tomorrow with the students.

I had a guy at the motel I wanted to shoot. Nothing but nothing was good enough for him for the last 3 days, and then he came down to the front desk tonight. I told him to come back after I was off duty. I wasn't going to deal with his shit. Then Paul who was supposed to replace me was late. He was outside in the parking lot looking in his car for his Best Western shirt. Paul is a good guy, but damn I need some time to myself.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Oh yeah, those kind of people just work on your last nerve and it makes you wonder...
Anyway, at my place of work, (this is why I like this forum, can't say this on FB) there is a dept that has started working OT and everybody who was laid-off is geting called back to work. This is good news BUT...they say we still have to take the last 4 days off in December. which means 90% of us won't get paid from unemploment because our benefit year has run out and w have to open a new claim and serve a waiting week, which is not paid. So thats 4 days of no money! Thats going to hurt. So many of us suggested being sent home with no pay for half day or even a whole day and they said no because we have sooo much work that has togo out! Does this make sense? It doesn't make you feel good when you see people still working when you're leaving at nite and can't afford to go to the store and next month you know you won't be able to pay your rent...
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 11:33 pm

I know. They do that to get out of paying unemployment claims. It's rigged. They know the game all too well I just hate it. I was a workingman's radical earlier in my working career. They drive you to it and they wonder why not everyone thinks this is the land of opportunity. Sure we have a great country, built on the backs of hard working honest people that not always are treated as such. Oh man, don't get me started.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 am

We had a meeting at work Friday(drinking afterwards, LOL) and the owner gets up in front of us, wine glass in hand, and says this will be his fire and brimstone speech. Ok, not so much he could take a few lessons from my old boss..Anyway, he asks the question how many think he's rich? everyone puts up his/her hand. He was amazed.HUH? Buddy, you just went overseas for 3 months,and $35,000 to adopt a baby. You live in a 3 million dollar home with a pool...and he wants to know if we think he's rich... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ron

Ron

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Our company layed off 6 employees friday - third layoff in half a year. Dothan is loosing companies that are shutting down here. Swedish Match has a skeleton crew now manufacturing one cigar and those machines will be moved to another plant in a few months. Country Crossing was shut down last month for illegal gambling by the govenor, 700 workers layed off. PoFolks Restaurant did not renew their lease and shut down in Dothan - a week ago with no notice to employees. Sony will shut down by end of summer. Dothan is feeling the sluggish economy and I believe it will get worse before employment improves here.
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 pm

I'm still slugging away at two jobs. I signed a form saying I plan to return to Woonsocket next year I have no idea what it all means. Perhaps, they want a list of employees and cut a couple of us. I'm one of the newer people...so...who knows. I hope it just an administration thing.
Back to top Go down
Ron

Ron

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 am

I never discuss work on fb - only here.

Our division went to an automated phone system to eliminate the front desk position. No one saw that coming. Don't know if that is just happening only at this division or nationwide - takes the human touch out of the company. Press 1 for transportation, press 2 for delivery appointments .....
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 pm

wow! Doesn't seem like a good move...Things sound kinda bad down there. Our place is busy, we may even have to give up our holiday weekend again. Not Sunday, just Friday and Saturday. They did that to us on the 4th of July, sucked! But at least we have jobs AND we're busy so.... sunny like my mom always says 'make hay while the sun shines'!
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 pm

My mom always said," Get a haircut, and real job."

They're putting fiber optic lines here, so I have to clean my apartment so the installers won't e appalled.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 pm

LOL!
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 10:55 am

I work most of the weekend. It's ok, a little more bill paying cash and there is nothing going over Easter anyway.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 6:21 pm

We're busy! Some OT, not much but enough to make a difference in pay. Banana Republic is a big customer right now and a store called Anthropology. We fired 2 people, one quit because he got married and moved, and we have a few temps right now.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptySun May 23, 2010 8:44 am

So, my ex friend with benefits is working at my place. Tried to keep it from the boyfriend but in the end I decided it was best to tell him the truth. The ex knows about the boyfriend and when he was introduced he wouldn't look him in the eye. Now the boyfriend is paranoid about every time I go out on the work floor that I'm just going out to 'see' him. I work there, he works there. He's a boss, we are bound to bump into one another eventually. So far I haven't, its a pretty big place, and he won't be my boss. So...kind of a weird situation.
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:02 am

I am trained and prepared to work the night shift at the Best Western. I have to do a night audit. The night shift has to close out the day. It's not hard and it will be a few easy hours. I'll work a couple nights and couple days a week. It will be a little more pay and a few nore hours. It should make my time more worthwhile.

Meanwhile, I'll know this week if the high school is going to take my resignation. If they do, I'll most likely stay right here and do substitute teaching for a year. If they refuse it, I'll be back in the classroom full time. I don't which way they go. It's all good.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:33 pm

well, they did it again...they have taken our 4th of July holiday away again. Just found out today! We have to work 8 hrs satuday and 8 hours Monday. How much you want to bet they'll be looking for ppl for Sunday? Just because they can't schedule correctly we have to give up our holiday weekend!
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Well, you're working. That is something. I have a couple schools I have to apply to. Them seem like good jobs....who knows. Some of my former students have come to visit me at the motel. I enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm

heard a rumor they are throwing around the idea of taking our Labor day wknd away...Maybe I should put in for some vacay time now.
Kind of got a promotion at work(if you want to call it that). I'm doing office work. My old boss who now works at my place suggested me for a postion in the office. said I was real good at it at QM. Took me a bit to get back in synch with computers and data entry again. but its like riding a bicycle....right? every day it gets a bit better.
Back to top Go down
walleye

walleye

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Well, you a job that you can do. You have a chance to move up the ladder...you're doing very well.

I did the back ground check for a substitute teaching job in a big school. I'll be teaching this fall, but not as a full-time teacher. I had some parents from my last school really support me for a new job. I guess I have done well over the years. I want SDSU to hire me.
Back to top Go down
NCBeachdrmr

NCBeachdrmr

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:35 pm

have you heard anything from SDSU?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Work topics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work topics...   Work topics... Empty

Back to top Go down

Work topics...